Tuesday, October 28, 2008

One Print, Two Print, Red Print, Blue...

Experience is something you get just after the moment when you needed it the most.

I've had InDesign for several years. I thought I knew what it was all about. I didn't. But I know a few more things now.

The first couple of pages of printing the portfolio were wonderful. It was exciting. But then came the red pages...

All of a sudden, everything I printed had a dreadful red cast. And so I started searching for the reason. The weekend went from exciting to frustrating in the time it took to make a print.

I had used InDesign in the past and thought it was ready to rock. But Adobe sent out an update and it seems that all of my links were broken. I fixed those - and that's when the redness set in.

I had never actually printed from InDesign before, I would create my document, convert it to a pdf and ship it. If it looked good on the calibrated monitor, it was going to be great where ever the pdf went. I thought about filling one of the printer's ink cartriges with Visine (to get the red out), but I would have had to buy a whole case.

After a couple hours of tinkering, phone calling and manual reading I found the right switch to flip and voila! We were good to go. But now I was out of ink.

The ink store opened at 8 a.m. I bought the magenta cartrige and rushed back to the office. I slapped it in hit "print" and the next print came out upside down.

A brown van is scheduled to stop in front of my office in the next couple of days. The driver will ask me to sign something and he will hand me a fresh pack of paper. It's MOAB Entrada. Bright white and 100% cotton. This isn't a homemade portfolio, it's handcrafted and worth all of this effort. Maybe next week I'll be able to show it.

No comments: