Monday, October 06, 2008

Woe in Mudville


The outlook wasn't brilliant for the Mudville nine that day;
The score stood four to two with but one inning more to play...

Some of my dear friends and former coworkers of the East Valley Tribune received troubling news today. One hundred and forty-two people are to be laid off. They get to keep their jobs until the new year.

The news makes me sad. The Tribune was a great newspaper when I was hired fourteen years ago. But the news business ain't what it used to be. It seems that chasing news is not for the career minded. The pay was always low, but I kept telling myself that at least I was making a difference in the lives of others as I photographed stories related to poverty, sickness and inhumanity. In January, some amazing people are being shown the door.

Any other year it's hard enough to find a job. I think this year, it's even harder. Add to it the 142 people who have dedicated their lives and careers to journalism and hoped to retire at what was once a solid company. They have talent and experience — but not many people are paying for talent or experience.

...Oh! somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;
The band is playing somewhere and somewhere hearts are light,
And somewhere men are laughing and somewhere children shout;
But there is no joy in Mudville -- mighty Casey has been shut out.

No comments: